osmo-trx peculiarities in dual-channel mode

Thomas Tsou tom at tsou.cc
Sat Jul 13 18:05:38 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Thomas Tsou <ttsou at vt.edu> wrote:
>> For better osmo-bts usage, I split the gain settings in the same way
>> that we discussed for the tuning setting. Note that this breaks
>> OpenBTS usage, but that fix should really be in core and not the
>> transceiver.
>>
>>   git://github.com/ttsou/openbts-p2.8.git  umtrx_dual_test
>
> Well, since we don't control the core of OpenBTS, could we make the
> transceiver compatible with both ways?

We would need to change the gain control interface or set something at
compile time. Basically, right now there is no way for the transceiver
to distinguish between a set-all-gains and set-channel-gain request.

> Also setting the Tx/Rx gains is a proper way for Multi-ARFCN version
> where ARFCN are actually on the same TRX. So we have to make this
> compatible with both ways anyway. E.g. we could introduce a new
> command to configure transceiver regarding TRXs.

Assuming OpenBTS core cannot be touched, we can either add a new
set-channal-gain command or a second boolean argument on the existing
SETRXGAIN command. For the latter case, OpenBTS would ignore the
second argument.

  Thomas