osmo-trx peculiarities in dual-channel mode

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 17:43:20 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Thomas Tsou <ttsou at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Alexander Chemeris
> <alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the reason you disabled setting power attenuation an receive
>> gain for the second trx? Since both channels in UmTRX are independent,
>> it should be possible to control tx power and rx gain independently.
>>
>> In the "SETPOWER" command handler:
>>       if (mPrimary)
>>         mRadioInterface->setPowerAttenuation(dbPwr);
>
> The control interface was setup for OpenBTS, which does not make a
> distinction between independent channel gain. So I locked both gain
> settings to the primary channel (the one that initializes the device).
>
> For better osmo-bts usage, I split the gain settings in the same way
> that we discussed for the tuning setting. Note that this breaks
> OpenBTS usage, but that fix should really be in core and not the
> transceiver.
>
>   git://github.com/ttsou/openbts-p2.8.git  umtrx_dual_test

Well, since we don't control the core of OpenBTS, could we make the
transceiver compatible with both ways?

Also setting the Tx/Rx gains is a proper way for Multi-ARFCN version
where ARFCN are actually on the same TRX. So we have to make this
compatible with both ways anyway. E.g. we could introduce a new
command to configure transceiver regarding TRXs.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru