building / make check / ... (was Re: 7bit changes to libosmocore)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jul 10 20:16:22 UTC 2013

Hi Holger,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 07:07:55PM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> In terms of technology. I see the following options:
>
>  * Use the above script and push all commits of a branch (we want to test
>    each commit) to Osmocom test repository and have travis-ci (a Ubuntu
>    VM...) build it and we feed some info back.

If at all, I'm more in favor of client-side builds.  Something as simple
as 'take this branch, use the kernel coding style check_patch script,
build each and every commit (locally) and return some status,
preferrably by simply sending mail to the user himself.  Then that
process can be run in background without monitoring output on the
console.

>  * We use gerrit for things we want to stage. Gerrit and a Jenkins would
>    cooperate. There is ACL and user management. Everybody could signup
>    with a OpenID... we could setup a VM with snapshot.. or limit the people
>    that may push..

I'm really against such complex technology. That's not the kind of
project I want to be involved in.  And I hate web interfaces, they are
always slow, require on-line connectivity and the use of a mouse.
E-mail is so much more convenient.

>  * Create a script to create debian packages and push them to
>    build.opensuse.org and let them build things for us...

sorry for being the naysayer again, but I reall dislike all this 'cloud'
approach.  I'd prefer to keep things simple and local, don't add
external dependencies, etc.