7bit changes to libosmocore

Andreas Eversberg andreas at eversberg.eu
Sun Jul 7 13:56:48 UTC 2013

Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 02:41:50PM +0200, Andreas Eversberg wrote:
>
>> hi holger,
>>
> Dear Andreas,
>

>> i just pushed a branch (jolly/7bit_ussd) i was working on the last
>> hours. it is quite exactly what you prosed.
>>
> I don't think it needs much splitting my comments are:
>
>  * If it helps we can export 'shift' from the common function as well,
>    maybe this simplifies your calculation.

maybe, it will, but this would require export over two functions and
still requires some calculations. i think it is simpler to understand
the code, when using the number of characters for calculation.
>  * I would write ('\r' << 1), it is more obvious than 0x1A and modern
>    compilers propagate such constants.
>
>  * The decoding, it might be easier to verify this condition on the
>    encoded data?
>
>  * In the encoding. If you change octets you also want to modify 'y'
>    as the number of septets.

see my branch.
>> also it includes a test case. the result is similar to your proposal.
>>
> What I don't understand is.. why the first broken version if you know
> it is not correct? It didn't save any of your time and it wasted plenty
> of mine.

if i would have known that it is not correct, i would have already fixed
it. also it was not clear to me that SMS end USSD encoding is a bit
different.