7bit changes to libosmocore

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sun Jul 7 12:16:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 09:08:26AM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> 2.) The semantic of the change is bad.
>
> +	octet_len = response_len*7/8;
> +	if (response_len*7%8 != 0)
> +		octet_len++;
> +	/* Warning, response_len indicates the amount of septets
> +	 * (characters), we need amount of octets occupied */

I have reverted the two changes and rebased my zecke/features/alpha-numeric
branch. Please review the two commits of the branch. In regard to the USSD
fixes I would propose the following:

   * We introduce a new API function that will handle the specifics of
     the USSD packing (last 7bit unused, last 7bit <CR>). The signature
     could be:

int gsm_7bit_encode_ussd(uint8_t *result, const char *data, int *octets_written);
int gsm_7bit_decode_ussd(char *decoded, const uint8_t *user_data, uint8_t length);

   * Add a testcase for the above (e.g. '1234567\r' should result in a
     double \r\r).
   * Switch the USSD code in libosmocore over

I would argue that writing a regression test is industry standard and
basic software engineering but running "make check" after doing a change
is absolutely basic.

holger