OsmoDevCon 2013 brainstorming

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:04:55 UTC 2013

Hi Harald,

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> as the year 2012 has already ended or will soon end depending on your
> timezone, it might be a good occasion to start thinking of an OsmoDevCon
> 2013.
>
> I personally percevied OsmoDevCon 2012 as a big success, and it was fun
> to bring everyone together.

+1

> Generally, I prefer to keep the spirit of an invitation-only
> developer+contributor-only event of those involved in Osmocom.  At the
> same time, I would consider it a good idea to add a one day
> user-conference to the schedule, where we try to get interested users up
> to speed with the various projects, possibly including some workshops
> and the like.

I second this.

> So schedule-wise, I would suggest something like:
>
> * one day user conference
> * two day developer/contributor event
> * optionally: 1-2 "hacking days".
>
> The concept of "hacking days" has proven to be quite useful for the
> netfilter project in the past (Pablo and I can acknowledge to that
> fact).  I'm not sure how many people would be able to spend even more
> days of their schedule, but even if it's a much smaller group it would
> still be useful, IMHO.
>
> I'd like you to
>
> 1) provide feedback on the ideas about the one-day user event

Tutorials and status updates?

> and the hacking days

Bug hunting&fixing (e.g. in osmosgsn), writing unit tests,
architecture changes discussions?

> 2) consider whether late march (like 2012) would be a good schedule
>    again

I'm very much willing to attend and the lest week of March is very
inconvenient for me due to other activities I participate in. April is
much better (and warmer).

> 3) what we can improve from the last event
>
> In terms of improvements, I so far have noted down:
> * larger venue needs to be found
> * complaints about the venue not having sufficient heating

Yes, being at a warm place helps a lot.