Compiling LCR for OpenBSC

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Mar 8 15:03:08 UTC 2012

Nik Pakar wrote:
> Would you mind give me a little hint on how to clone the rtpmux branch.
>
> Thanks and sorry for basic question on git.

When you know that you need to apologize you obviously know that you
are asking a question that you are not supposed to be asking (here)
in the first place.

Study the tools! There is amazing material about Git online so you
have absolutely no excuse for not trying much harder on your own to
accomplish what you are obviously getting paid a lot of money to do.

Did you already look around, or are you asking (i.e. expecting)
others to help you without trying to find the answer on your own?
That is quite unacceptable and will make people hate you, because as
you know everyone is very busy with other things than educating you
about git. I think you understand this.

I strongly recommend http://progit.org/book/ which has very good
coverage of git, and is easy to read.

You can't expect any success whatsoever in a project where you are
new to the development tools, if you aren't willing, eager and able
to learn those tools. You will just make people angry in general and
angry with you in particular.

You must understand that open source communities are a completely
different social construct than what you may be used to from
commercial customer/supplier relationships.

Your behavior on this mailing list (and apparently others) is as if
the open source community was a commercial supplier to you and you
are rapidly making one faux-pas after another, which naturally
results in an incredibly bad standing for you within the community.

If you are going to be successful in using an open source component
then you must change your mindset and become a part of the community.

The only way to do that, really, is to contribute something.

//Peter