Osmocom-Erlang code

Duncan Smith Duncan at xrtc.net
Tue Jun 5 07:47:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 06:45:58AM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:
>> I'm presently attemping to work with the code here:
>> <http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/erlang>.
>
> What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I wish to create a thin wrapper that will allow me to use Freeswitch
as a MSC.  Namely, I wish to perform subscriber management, call
routing, and SMS routing within Freeswitch.  I also would like to have
visibility into the RR and MM aspects of the system, but I don't care
so much about controlling those.

Unless I'm mistaken, the MNCC socket system presently only allows for
call control.

Do you think there's a better way to accomplish this than working with
osmo-bsc and implementing the A-interface?

> The code is currently not in a state that makes it easy to use for
> anyone not intimately familiar with it.  It's mainly developed to
> fulfill whatever current (customer) requirement I have, and has many
> undocumented shortcomings and pitfalls.

Aye, that's about the impression I got as well.  For now, my goal is
something robust enough to deal with a few hundred handsets, several
BTSes, one instance of osmo-bsc, and one instance of Freeswitch.

> I hope it eventually will emerge into something more generalized, but
> until I get around writing some MAP applications (startin with a HLR),
> it will probably remain in its current state.
>
> Some of the code is used in production 24/7, a lot of other code has
> never been running outside of my lab.
>
>> Is there something I'm missing?  (I just started working with
>> Erlang this week, so I may be missing something completely
>> obvious.)  I think the main issue is the makefiles aren't putting
>> generated asn.1 code in places that Erlang expects to see headers
>> and code, and the makefiles don't chain together. :)
>
> Anything but the signerl code is built with rebar, not with make.  So I
> guess if there are still any makefiles, they should be deleted from the
> tree.

I made it happy to some extent this afternoon - I symlinked
~/osmo-erlang/signerl/* into ~/osmo-erlang/ and set
"ERL_LIBS=~/osmo-erlang", and most of the build system (erl -make,
rebar, etc) was able to find what it was looking for.  I wasn't able
to replicate my success on my laptop, however, so I suspect my tree
wasn't actually clean.

--
   .oO0Oo.