OpenBSC -> only BTS+RNC+MSC+HLR without BSC possible?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jul 10 09:22:58 UTC 2012

Ellen Apolinar wrote:
> My advisors know that if we modify the code we should share our experiences
> with you and that there is a community who is interested in the changes of
> the project and who, perhaps, can help us if there are problems.

I would suggest to communicate that the intent is very much that
everyone works together in the project. It is quite loosely
organized, but if some organization is required then it tends to
form naturally. It's important that your developers immerse
themselves in the project. Subscribe to this mailing list and
immediately publish every commit.

In return they will get feedback according to their level of work;
if they publish junior level commits then they will, best case, get
junior level feedback. If they publish senior level commits with
consistently high quality, beautiful code, then they will also get
advanced and intelligent feedback, and truly participate, which is
neccessary for a successful outcome of your project.

This requires an open, uninhibited, mindset at all organizational levels.

> The purpose is to test different BTS and NodeBs for errors so we
> can repair them.
> I study and I absolve my practical semester in a company which
> repairs BTS and NodeB from different producer.

I think this sounds like a fun and very fitting use of OpenBSC.

The fact that OpenBSC can be modified and customized so easily in
every part of the software makes for a perfect test suite foundation.

//Peter