OpenBSC development

Labs rp.labs at gmx.ch
Mon Jan 9 22:20:30 UTC 2012

On 09-Jan-12 20:57, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> Thanks's for sharing some light and excuse me if some things are wrong.
>> This is how I am seeing things from outside and after reading the project pages.
>
> It is not wrong, we appear to follow different philosophies here. We follow
> the Unix one, our BSC is doing what a BSC should do by definition (assigning
> radio resources). What you want is that OpenBSC is an appliance and include
> things that would be provided by other parts of the system.

Let's see; below is quote from the main page:

Quote:
"What this means: OpenBSC is not just a standard BSC, but a GSM network
in a box software, implementing the minimal necessary parts to build a
small, self-contained GSM network.

OpenBSC includes functionality normally performed by the following
components of a GSM network: BSC (Base Station Controller), MSC (Mobile
Switching Center), HLR (Home Location Register), AuC (Authentication
Center), VLR (Visitor Location Register), EIR (Equipment Identity
Register)."

What you have here in real/live network are a few racks, not to mention
the SGSN and GGSN that you have already implemented.

Am I missing something? Sorry for saying that but it looks like to me
that it is an appliance.

> E.g. Link State, Firewall settings should probably go through SNMP, mISDN
> should export the MIB via procfs, the SNMP daemon should read this file to
> provide the status to whoever asks. In case the A-link is the only interface
> to the outside the BSC could help to tunnel SNMP over the O&M link.

I didn't install yet the OpenBSC but as I said in a previous email I
will have it done by the end of next week and check all configs.

I was thinking that you already have everything implemented in OpenBSC
(BSC/MSC/VLR/HLR/AuC/EIR/SGSN/GGSN) and the only interfaces out are Abis
(IP or E1) and another ethernet for management of OpenBSC box.
So from my assumption above it started the idea with all-in-one config
and GUI for the mentioned pieces of this puzzle.

I guess I am wrong here...

> In one point you are right, our documentation is not mature, incomplete,
> outdated. Do you want to help to correct that?

I would really like to do that but I am not a programmer and I will/can
write documentation based on my tests and real life experience.
We need to discuss more on this topic.

> holger

Best regards,
R.