OpenBSC development

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Mon Jan 9 19:57:07 UTC 2012

On 01/09/2012 07:39 PM, Labs wrote:
> On 09-Jan-12 09:16, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> Thanks's for sharing some light and excuse me if some things are wrong.
> This is how I am seeing things from outside and after reading the project pages.

It is not wrong, we appear to follow different philosophies here. We follow
the Unix one, our BSC is doing what a BSC should do by definition (assigning
radio resources). What you want is that OpenBSC is an appliance and include
things that would be provided by other parts of the system.

E.g. Link State, Firewall settings should probably go through SNMP, mISDN
should export the MIB via procfs, the SNMP daemon should read this file to
provide the status to whoever asks. In case the A-link is the only interface
to the outside the BSC could help to tunnel SNMP over the O&M link.

In one point you are right, our documentation is not mature, incomplete,
outdated. Do you want to help to correct that?

holger