OsmoDevCon / SIP / Teleconference

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:42:19 UTC 2012

Hi Harald,

I've seen successful events of all kinds, both using online presence
and not. It solely depends on the attitude of the audience and that's
why I was asking about it. I apologize that it introduced too much
noise. I will respect any choice, I just want to make sure we make as
many people happy as possible.

Regarding my Skype note - for me it's similar to using Altium where I
would love to use an open-source app. I always prefer open-source as
you know, but I'm quite pragmatic in tools selection when it affects
my performance of working on open-source projects. I again apologize
for mentioning it where it's not appropriate.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:20, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I really wanted OsmoDevCon to be an even from Osmocom (+related)
> develoeprs for such developers, with the idea of working together
> intensely and sharing some experiences face-to-face.
>
> I also understand not everyone is able to attend, for scheduling, travel
> or simply because they didn't realize about the event in time.
>
> I think broadcasting at least some the presentations (not general
> discussions) via SIP or any other audio streaming method might be ok,
> but I would make that dependent on the individual speaker.  For
> discussions or other non-presentations, I don't think it's a good idea.
> Talking privately in a room full of people is one thing, talking while
> it is publicly streamed and possibly recorded an entirely different
> thing.
>
> Having remote presenters is also not what I had in mind.  We might
> consider that if one of the scheduled speakers is unable to attend, but
> not as a planned scenario for events that are not even scheduled.
>
> Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of active participation by remote parties
> either, I fear it has a huge potential to delay the event.
>
> Now there might be occasional exceptions, i.e. somebody not present at
> the event but still actively involved in one particular subject that we
> want to discuss.  In that case having a teleconference via SIP or other
> method may be appropriate for that given topic / person.
>
> If I understood correctly, Sylvain and Peter have suggested to take care
> of it from the technical/infrastructure side.  I appreciate that and we
> may use it where apropriate (see above).
>
> btw: I strongly discourage the use of skype in the context of Osmocom by
> all means!  We're working very hard to create Free Software
> implementations of open-specified communications protocols.  Let's not
> make the world more complicated by using (and thus suggesting it was
> appropriate to use) completely proprietary communications systems.
>
> Regards,
>        Harald
> --
> - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

Alexander Chemeris.