sgsn/ggsn bitrate tests and reflexions

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Apr 26 11:19:16 UTC 2012

Hi Xavier,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:22:16PM +0200, carcelle wrote:

> > you can increase the bitrate by adding more PDCH on other timeslots.
> > You will lose those for voice, though.  The nanoBTS is capable of
> > dynamic TCH/F + PDCH switching, but we don't support that in OpenBSC
> > yet.
>
> ok understand, TCH/F + PDCH repartitions based on your
> how could i calcultate the theorical layer2/ip troughput available for one PDCH
> and correlate it to the troughput measured from the MS to an external IP ?

you can see the raw bitrates for different EDGE coding modes (PDCH
coding scheme will vary depending on RF layer performance):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution
so it's 8.8 kbit/second / slot to 59 kbit/second /slot

For pure GPRS it's 8 kbit/second / slot to 20 kbit/second / slot