Issue with GPRS for nanoBTS: no SGSN IP sent to nanoBTS ...

John tophut at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 17:28:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have an ipaccess nanobts model 165AU.  I have followed the instructions
for GPRS on the OpenBSC with a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10:

http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OpenBSC_GPRS

By adding the IMSIs for two GPRS capable handsets to the database and
assigning extensions, the phones will attach and I can make calls between
the handsets.

However, there seems to be no functionality related to GPRS.  A couple of
of different iPhones in GPRS field test mode won't pick up GPRS-related
parameters in "filed test mode", such as they won't see different values I
try for T3192 timer or DRC Timer Max. Note that I see changes I try for
these parameters (T3192 and DRC Timer Max) sent to the nanobts from the
wireshark packet captures.  These same iPhones can make phone calls through
the nanoBTS/OpenBSC.

Probably, the most significant underlying issue is that I don't see the
SGSN IP address ever sent to the nanoBTS anywhere in the Wireshark packet
capture.  It's clearly set in my configuration line "gprs nsvc 0 remote ip
192.168.XXX.YYY", and again I'm using an exact copy of the instructions
linked above.  So, GPRS clearly won't work without the nanoBTS "knowing"
the SGSN.  I do see the link between SGSN and GGSN, and the SGSN/GGSN
both "up", but no traffic of course between the nanoBTS and SGSN.

Note that I also did some searching and I saw one posting where the
configuration line "gprs mode gprs" should be "gprs mode egprs", but that
didn't make any difference.  Does anyone have suggestions of what might be
wrong or what I should look at?

Thanks, John