GSM network at 28C3

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Nov 11 15:20:18 UTC 2011

Harald Welte wrote:
> * BTS physical installation, patching + PoE
>   This is typically done on dec 24 or 25

I don't know if I will be in Berlin 24-25, if yes then I will help
with installation.

> * configuring osmo-nitb + LCR to connect with the POC, do some testing
>   This again involves getting some physical E1 line from/to the PoC
>   patched, and when the POC is available for configuring their side of
>   the link

I'll help with this too. I expect POC will be well prepared and early
on site at c3 like they were at camp, and I think it's critical for
our credibility at POC, with the organizers and ultimately with our
network users that we set up MOC in parallel. The lesson learned at
camp is that it is really key to execute setup earlier than
neccessary. Day 0 is *much* too late. If we can not be on site 24 and
25 then we need to prepare and test setup before the 24th.

> * selling of SIM cards
>   In the past, this has been done by the POC.  However, there has been
>   some discontempt with the fact that they get all the user questions
>   and cannot do anything regarding GSM, and also they never got any
>   share of the money (not that we made huge profits on it anyway).

POC feedback at camp was fairly clear; they're happy to sell SIM
cards as long as the network is stable, so that they do not get
swamped with mobile questions for which they have no answers and no
way to find information. As for sharing profit, I think that it's
only fair to contribute to the POC coffee fund with some money left
over from SIM sales.

>   So I'd suggest to involve the POC more in the network, give them
>   telnet access to the BSC so they can try to anlyze problems
>   themselves,

I don't mind giving POC access, but this assumes that POC has
interest in OpenBSC, which I don't think is so wise. Not that POC
can not or will not have interest, but it's not good to depend on
that, and they would also be starting nearly from scratch learning
about OpenBSC, which is not the position you want to be in as
helpdesk staff.

>   and maybe see if (at least in the beginning) one of the
>   OpenBSC project members could spend some time at the POC
>   desk to help with SIM card sales and user questions

I disagree. Either we have MOC and POC at the same table, or we
decide that MOC will have no public helpdesk at all, and we arrange
a private channel for the POC helpdesk to talk to second level MOC
staff. A dedicated MOC helpdesk is of course hugely preferable for
network users.

It is not so easy to decide on what to do in this situation. I think
many of the candidates for cluey MOC staff are looking forward to
doing development work together during the congress, rather than
doing operations. I think the two are nearly mutually exclusive..

//Peter