GSM network at 28C3

Jan Lübbe jluebbe at lasnet.de
Fri Nov 11 10:25:43 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 15:07 +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> What needs to be done:
>
> * BTS physical installation, patching + PoE
>   This is typically done on dec 24 or 25, depends a bit when roh is
>   doing the patching and when the house technicians lift up the big
>   cross beam in the main hall
> * configuring osmo-nitb + LCR to connect with the POC, do some testing
>   This again involves getting some physical E1 line from/to the PoC
>   patched, and when the POC is available for configuring their side of
>   the link

I could arrive around 10 am on the 25th and help with that. If that's
not needed, I'd arrive on the 26th.

> * programming of SIM cards
>   we have some 100 to 150 left-over 16in1 sim cards from the camp, but
>   sysmocom will soon receive 1000 sysmoSIM' cards.  Those cards store
>   only one IMSI (not 16), but are otherwise much more flexible in terms
>   of programming.  You can create any file (DF/EF) and put any content
>   inside, even files not specified in TS 11.11.
>   The cards will need to be programmed (simple, quick).  sysmocom will
>   take care they are of that.

You mean they will already be programmed? Otherwise I'd have no problem
with handling that like at the Camp.

> * selling of SIM cards
>   In the past, this has been done by the POC.  However, there has been
>   some discontempt with the fact that they get all the user questions
>   and cannot do anything regarding GSM, and also they never got any
>   share of the money (not that we made huge profits on it anyway).
>
>   So I'd suggest to involve the POC more in the network, give them
>   telnet access to the BSC so they can try to anlyze problems
>   themselves, and maybe see if (at least in the beginning) one of the
>   OpenBSC project members could spend some time at the POC desk to help
>   with SIM card sales and user questions

At least for some shifts I'd be willing to handle this.

> * putting together a publik wiki page (mostly copy+paste from last year)

I've adjusted the page from last year and stored it in the OpenBSC wiki
as the Congress wiki is not open yet.
http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/FieldTests/28c3/CongressWiki

Regards,
Jan