SGSN Crash

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon May 30 07:08:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 08:52:13AM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> please make yourself gdb and git and create a patch. The struct msgb has
> detected a mis-use and forced a crash. What is going wrong is in the log, you
> will need to identify where this msgb got allocated (or change the panic
> message to print the name of the msgb) and see why it is using the amount of
> headroom it wants to use.

I am quite certain it is the "MS Radio Access Capabilities IE" which for
some reason seems to be _very_ large in this case.  I've seen this
before, but never was able to hunt it down.  Everything seemed like it
was _really_ that long.  But it's more likely that we do something wrong
while parsing it in GMM when the phone sends it.  The SGSN saves this IE
in its MM contaxt for the phone, and it will transmit it to the BTS in
every BSSGP message.