sms bugfix

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at gnumonks.org
Tue Mar 22 11:24:36 UTC 2011

On 21/03/11 13:03, Dennis Wehrle wrote:
> Hi Holger
>
> On 19.03.2011 01:54, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> On 03/18/2011 11:01 PM, Dennis Wehrle wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>> Hi Dennis,
>>
>> thank you very much for your patch. There are some formal issues with the
>> patch and it would be nice if you could resolve them.
>
> sure ;-)
>

>> * In general we don't keep commented out code around, please remove it.
>> * We avoid the // comments.
>
> Can you explain why? (just for my interest)

This is a bad practise. Leaving code that has been commented is not of
any help, it distracts the attention of the reader (who would wonder why
it's still there). On the other hand, if the intention is to track
changes, the SCM already does this for you, with it it's easy to see
what code was removed and added along time. If the intention to leave
that code commented to remark any special (or tricky) case, better add
some comment on that (my criteria usually is to document special cases
that I would even forget myself).

BTW, adding a short explanation to the patch also helps a lot to apply
them with git-am.