Hardware required to setup an SGSN

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jul 12 05:50:23 UTC 2011

Hi Naveen,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 06:01:43PM -0700, Naveen Kumar wrote:

> Thanks for the options. I will need to look into it in a bit more
> detail. Which part of the code base do I need to concentrate on to get
> the Fr over E1 functionality?

I would suggest using the following route
* Get a card directly compatible with the Linux kernel HDLC
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/net/hdlc/
	- or (as they are all quite outdated) -
* Get an E1 card supported by DAHDI (e.g. Digium or compatible) +
  Install DAHDI with CONFIG_DAHDI_NET enabled and run the device in
  "nethdlc" mode

* Configure the hdlc linux kernel network device as appropriate,
  crating the PVC(s) you need

* Extend the NS code that's in openbsc.git/openbsc/src/gprs/gprs_ns.c
  to work on top of the frame relay network "pvcN" device instead

* Post the code here for review and inclusion.  This is important,
  the project lives by its contributions...

So you could probably re-use that code (I think DAHDI has more potential
as more hardware is available for it), implement frame relay and then
attach that to the existing NS/BSSGP installation.

Warning: Our NS code does currently not support multiple NS-VCs in a
single NS-Entity and thus there's no load sharing or fail-over if you
have multiple PVCs (on one or multiple E1 links) leading to the same
SGSN.  If you need to support that, more work is required.

Please note that there are also multiple people involved in the project
offering paid R&D services, consulting and/or support surrounding
OpenBSC / OsmoSGSN.