Legal usage without a carrier-licence?

David A. Burgess dburgess at jcis.net
Thu Feb 17 19:50:16 UTC 2011

The US FCC process pretty painless.  Three weeks.  US$60.  Mostly done on the web, although you might get a telephone call.  But if you want a high-power license, you must also "coordinate" with any licensed carriers in the spectrum, which is considerably harder than dealing with the FCC.

Be aware that frequencies just above the ISM900 band are used for aircraft landing beacons in the US.  Screw with that on a foggy day and you are looking at some serious liability.  We had a much more difficult time getting a high-power experimental license in ISM900 (down the road from an Air Force base) than we did in GSM850 (out in the desert).

I also also heard that a group at UC Berkeley recently got an experimental license to operate in the GSM1800 band, but I do not know the details.