Strange nanoBTS Behavior

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Apr 16 17:16:04 UTC 2011

Hi Max,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 01:57:55AM -0700, Max Marbler wrote:

> I've come across a new (to me) nanoBTS with some strange behavior: it seems
> to come up normally and pull an IP over DHCP, and interacts as expected with
> the ipaccess-find and ipaccess-config tools, but *never* attempts to
> establish an OML link.
>
> After provisioning the correct settings with ipaccess-config, the unit
> reboots and slow-flashes the orange light (no OML) and there is *no* network
> traffic initiated by the nanoBTS past the DHCP exchange; however, I can ping
> the unit using ipaccess-find and ping.
>
> After running a reset with the dongle and a repeat of the above, I get the
> same results.
>
> Any ideas?

you can try to set the respective nvram flags and then use ipaccess-telnet
to get some debug information.  maybe it will tell you what is happening.

http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/nanoBTS#TelnetDebugPort

the other thing I would do is to take a pcap trace with wireshark/tcpdump
_directly_ at the BTS, either only with a hub (no switch!!) or beter with
a crossover-cable between poe injector and a computer.  This way you can
see all the messages in detail that are sent by the BTS.  I'm pretty confident
it is trying to connect somewhere, maybe just the wrong address.

Maybe the DHCP sender is sending some attributes that we don't know which
contain the OML ip address?