SS7 protocols support in openbsc project

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jun 29 10:23:55 UTC 2010

Dear Ashwin,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:58:57PM +0530, Ashwin wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2010 05:07 PM, Harald Welte wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 05:50:06PM +0100, mosbah abdelkader wrote:
> >
> >>Is there a support of SS7 protocol stack over MTP (TDM) or SCTP (SIGTRAN) in
> >>the openbsc project.
> >
> >no.
>
> If some one needs either one of them, which should be pursued now
> with an expectation of support in OpenBSC in near future.

I don't think there is big interest in MTP/TDM these days.  SCTP/SIGRAN
makes more sense.

> What are the plans (if any) for building / providing the SS7 support
> in either of the forms in OpenBSC ? Is there any roadmap for the
> same ?

There is no roadmap for it.  We have evaluated it, studied the protocols
and roughly know how much effort it would take.

Most of the OpenBSC features - but particularly the ones interesting for
enterprise use - are driven by customer demand.  So as soon as there
is a customer that wants to fund the development of such an interface
(like adding MAP over TCAP over SCCP over SCTP to our MSC code), I'm
sure one of the core OpenBSC developers will be more than happy to work
on it.

A SS7 interface is nothing that is required for the IT security crowd that
wants to play with the GSM air interface.  So it is only interested to
large / commercial entities who can afford to pay for that development or
do it by themselves.

As far as our spare time work on OpenBSC is concerned, we will likely focus
on issuse that are more interesting to us (and other smaller users of the
software, like adding an external interface for fuzzing)