Regarding implementation of RLC/MAC in open BSC

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Dec 23 02:14:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 06:04:39PM +0530, satishn wrote:

> Im new to Open BSC .In your website it is given that
> "have the BTS interoperate a SGSN with Gb (NS-over-IP) interface "
>
> Does this mean that PCU Stacks(RLC/MAC,BSSGP and NS)  are implemented
> at the BTS.

yes, this is the mode that we support.  PCU in the BTS.

However, I see no reason why OsmoSGSN should not work with a PCU co-located
with the BSC.  However, you will have to use a proprietary BSC in that
case, as OpenBSC does not include RLC/MAC.

In a BSC-hosted PCU, the Gb Interface exported to the SGSN is the same
as in the BTS-hosted PCU.

Please note that OsmoSGSN is still not production ready.  You can use it
in a lab, but don't expect too much.