Control Interface

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Dec 10 02:29:58 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 06:31 PM, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>

> Has the focus changed since this last discussion?  Can anyone explain why
> that is?

The focus has not changed. There are two things I want out of it. Get
statistics from the BSCs (we will query the nat/mux, which will..), turn off
RF via the nat/mux.

I asked Daniel to start with something easy (this is why we have plenty of
strcmp and if/else), it probably just appeared easy to add get/set for
existing properties. As the second step I asked Daniel to somehow consolidate
this and look at if we can use things from the VTY.

> Even if we suddenly have a need for a lot of write/modify type settings from
> the SNMP side, we should not have two ways how to modify a single parameter
> inside OpenBSC.  In that case we may need some code that can sort-of
> automatically 'export' all controlif parameter to the VTY, and remove the
> current code that sets this parameter from the VTY.

I agree that there should not be two ways in the long run. To ease Daniels
work and have progress I asked him to ignore this problem of duplication for
now and move things forward.

Personally I would like to see the branch to be in a state that it is solving
the use case that we have discussed. This way we know what we will need from
the code, as the second step I would look into integration and see how we will
deal with the VTY overlap.

holger