Control Interface

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Dec 9 17:31:54 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,

i am occasionally browsing the commitlog of the daniel/controlif branch
and am wondering what exactly is happening there.

It seems much more to me that 'controlif' is about reimplementing a lot
of the functionality that already exists in the VTY, which I think is bad.

My original understanding of the idea of SNMP support was:
1) we mostly want to export counters that we already have, but in
   a consistent/machine-parseable way.  This is read-only
2) we may want to have traps
3) we have some (few!) things like rf_lock which should be issued (written)
   by the external SNMP process.

Has the focus changed since this last discussion?  Can anyone explain why
that is?

Even if we suddenly have a need for a lot of write/modify type settings from
the SNMP side, we should not have two ways how to modify a single parameter
inside OpenBSC.  In that case we may need some code that can sort-of
automatically 'export' all controlif parameter to the VTY, and remove the
current code that sets this parameter from the VTY.

Any ideas?