Problem connecting to NanoBTS with current version of OpenBSC

Andreas Schmidt-Dannert aschmida at mailbox.tu-berlin.de
Sun Aug 22 19:03:46 UTC 2010

Hello all,

till last Friday I was using a version of OpenBSC from around May. I
used it on a machine with Fedora 13 and I had no problems at all.

I am playing around with RRLP and since newer versions of OpenBSC also
support packet data  I wanted to upgrade to be able to receive A-GPS
data from the internet.

Anyway I am having problems getting it to work. Since Friday I am trying
but without success and now I am really clueless and hope I will find
some help here.

First I installed it on a machine with Kubuntu 10.04 and I did the
installation as recommended online for GPRS usage. The NanoBTS gets an
IP adresse and I can configure it. After restart the led blinks slow and
orange which means (after manual)  the management link has not been
establish. The slow blinking also occurred when I used the older version
and there it worked so I guess the blinking can be ignored.
However if I start bsc_hack it stops after the following:

DB: Database initialized
DB: Database prepared (hlr.sqlite3 exists afterwards)

The debugging option did not reveal more information. Wireshark tells me
that after DHCP there are no more packets coming from the NanoBTS. So
even when I start bsc_hack there is no packet being transfered from
OpenBSC to the NanoBTS....very strange. I thought it has something to do
with firewall rules (under Fedora I had this problem) but I disabled
everything and nothing happened.

Then I thought maybe the problem is that I have installed OpenGGSN
already and can now only start it when OpenBSC, osmo-sgsn and ggsn is
configured and so I used my second machine (Debian Lenny) and installed
only OpenBSC but I have the same problem there....the NanoBTS just keeps
blinking slowly and orange. I do not think it is aproblem with the
NanoBTS since it was still working on Friday.

I reseted the NanoBTS several times, I gave it always around 2 or more
minutes to connect and start (after starting bsc_hack) but it does not
change anything. I guess it is a small problem but I just cannot see it.
Maybe someone has a hint for me? Why are there no packets being exchanged?

Sorry for the long mail but I wanted to explain it as detailed as
possible so that the experts have it easier :)

Thanks and Bye,
Andreas