bts firmware

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sat Aug 21 22:26:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 22:58 +0800, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On 08/21/2010 08:20 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
>

> > Well, i can probably do some experimenting with a nanobts, but how do i
> > get hold of more recent firmware?
>
> ipaccess ltd is the only place for firmware, you might want to warm up your
> relationship with them and ask for new firmware.
>
> Which model do you have? What kind of hardware features do you think are
> missing? Do you have any specific problem with OpenBSC and this hardware or
> are you just wondering?

Hi,

I'm not quite shuer about the model, after looking at:
http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/nanoBTS_Models

If i remember correctly, i saw something like 139U on the box.
What makes sense, as we were using multi trx-configuration.

otoh, i vaguely remember that we were using the edge-channels, what
would implicate the 165U model.
In our test-set up, about two years ago, we used two different models, a
dozen with and a dozen without external antenna's. In that configuration
we used an official bts, omc and mmc, and had roaming agrements with our
national provider.

Considering the age, i presumed i have to upgrade them before i can use
them with openbsc and my own asterisk, not ?

Would be fun to use them at home, and afaicr people in NL and UK are
allowed to do this....

Considering ipaccess, at work we were going to do another test.
And during a demo, they claimed that our nano's were to old and had to
be upgraded to be able to work with *, hence they left a couple of new
examples with us at _no_ costs, but they were very reluctent to provide
us with new firmware for the couple of dozens nano's we allready have.
Odd, not?

But all i really would like to do, is play my own gsm-provider at home,
and route voice and sms to my asterisk onto my voip/isdn-provider.

I'll bring one along for further examination.
Perhaps i can tell you more about model / current firmware.

Hans