OpenBSC, nanoBTS and Asterisk integration

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:36:44 UTC 2009

>> This week end I started coding a channel driver to integrate OpenBSC
>> and Asterisk directly.
>> You can find the code here http://github.com/smunaut/ast_chan_openbsc
>
> thanks, this is exciting news.  Please keep us posted.

Ok, I cleaned most of the mess yesterday and updated the tree.
The branch 'master' contains eveything that's cleaned up. I also added
a 'hack_call' branch that has minimum call control to be able to make
mobile-terminated call. Only the 'normal calls' work ( dial -> ring
mobile -> answer mobile -> hangup on mobile). Any deviation will most
likely result in a crash :) But it's usable and all instructions are
in the README for people to test.

It's a pity that there are no free EFR/AMR codec implementation, I
have to use plain old GSM-FR.

> If yo think it is worth putting this in the OpenBSC git, or at least hosting it on
> openbsc.gnumonks.org, I'm very open to that.

Yes, I've put it on git hub because it was easy to setup and didn't
want to bother
setting it up on one of my servers. It might be good to host it on
openbsc.gnumonks.org
to keep everything grouped. I would keep it in a separate git tree tough.

> Or are you planning to actually submit this into asterisk mainline, then
> of course any repo you use now is meant to be only temporary.

Yes, I'll consider submitting it once it and openBSC are stable enough
to have 'numbered' releases.
OTOH, there might be kindof a mess with licences. IIRC, a few years
back it was required to release copyright to digium (so that then can
do supported binary distributions with additional features to their
clients) and that also imply no link (static or otherwise) to GPL
code.

So that may take some time :)

>> This latest code is not public yet because it's just a big mess and
>> only take care of setup and not cleanup (so you can do 1 call and then
>> restart :)
>
> that's not enough reason to not have it in a separate branch in your git
> repo, one that you delete as soon as you have merged a cleaned-up version
> to the master branch :)

The version I had two days ago was a little too hackish, with things like
my own IP and RTP port hardcoded at several places and stuff :)

     Sylvain