List is quiet...

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Sep 24 12:16:16 UTC 2009

Hi Tom,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:27:38AM +0100, Tom wrote:

> I have got some nanoBTSs, ip.access BSC and MSC to test/play with
> OpenBSC. I'm not much of a programmer but an integrator so cannot help
> with patching. But I can help with everything else.

This is actually very useful to us.  Since you have the full setup with BSC and
MSC, you could e.g. help us with protocol traces of your ip.access system.  You
can use wireshark or ethereal to created packet captures (pcaps) while you are
performing certain operations.

Right now, e.g., people are looking for ways to implement GPRS and EDGE support
in the nanoBTS.  So maybe you could provide a set of separate A-bis-over-IP
traces between BTS and BSC for the following actions:

* bootstrapping a nanoBTS in a network that supports GPRS / EDGE
* registering one GPRS-capable telephone to the network
* establishing the PDP context
* actually transferring some IP data over it
* deactivation of PDP context
* deactivation of the GPRS-capable telephone

Furthermore, I think it would be very useful to get packet captures when
the nanoBTS uses the multiplexed RTP mode (for NAT traversal), as we could
then also work on implementing this protocol in OpenBSC.

If you could help with any of that, it would be much appreciated.

> Only thing is unlike the BS11, there's no way of routing calls to asterisk
> with the nanoBTS, am I correct?  I'd really like to see that functionality
> and if appropriate would like to post a bounty for it.

Andreas Eversberg has indicated that he wants to work on this, I suggest
you talk to him if there is anything you can help him with.  I would assume
that you could easily bribe him with giving him a nanoBTS in return for
finishing a OpenBSC <-> LCR integration for the nanoBTS.