SMS delivery (Mobile Terminated): First ok, second fails

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Sep 26 17:08:40 UTC 2009

Hi Sylvain,

thanks for looking into this issue.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:16:38AM +0200, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> I don't know if you saw that first email when I posted it (see below for
> reference), but I still can't decide where to put the trans_free. From the
> code, it's obvious you thought about it but apparently didn't decide yet
> since all call to it are commented :)

Yes, I also was not decided how to solve this problem properly.  Most likely
I first put it somewhere but then noticed that it doesn't work correctly
and then placed a comment.

> In gsm411_rx_rp_ack(...) there is a comment saying "/* do not free the
> transaction here, this is done by sending CP-ACK */", however this is no
> longer true, the method sending the cp_ack is now called _before_
> gsm411_rx_rp_ack and so doesn't free up the transaction anymore (the
> trans_free call in gsm411_tx_cp_ack is commented out).
>
> To me gsm411_rx_rp_ack sounds like the right place to do it but if you wrote
> that comment in the first place I guess you had reason not to do it there.
> Could you elaborate on that ?

I have played with so many different combinations and orders of the various
commands/packets that I do not remember what worked how and with which phone.

Honestly, I have spent way too much time reading the specifications, and I think
they are extremely vague in places and much more difficult than any other part
of the GSM specs that I've read.

If you have a better understanding of them and can propose a fix, I'm happy to
simply test and merge that, rather than again diving into this topic and
wasting more than the days I have already put into it :(

Regards.