Running an licensed experimental GSM network at 26c3

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 20:18:29 UTC 2009

Hi Harald, David, Andreas,

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 13:19, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 09:33:31PM +0400, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
>> We'll bring one or two our USRPs for OpenBTS testing even if David Burgess
>> won't be able to come, and we would love to be located near OpenBSC guys
>> and you. But that'll be our first time at 26C3 and we're little bit
>> lost - should we send some request to get the space?
>
> I think the process for applying for tablespace in the hackcenter has not yet
> started.
>
> Meanwhile I've created a http://events.ccc.de/congress/2009/wiki/index.php/GSM
> wiki page where we can add stuff to, similar to the 25C3 and HAR2009.

Great, thank you. I'll keep my eye on it.

>> Do you have an option for VoIP link rather then E1?
>
> As indicated, I am really not interested in this.  My general interest in any
> actual voice switching is extremely low.  I have two objectives with regard to
> OpenBSC at the 26C3:

Well, question was addressed to Andreas, I know that you're not interested ;)

> * operate a functional network that interconnects with the DECT network of
>  the POC (due to popular demand)
> * do some more experimentation with security related aspects of GSM related
>  signalling
>
> I don't really see the point of having any kind of additional interfaces for
> voice data at the 26C3 installation.  I don't see a technical challenge there,
> I think it only increases the network complexity in case something needs to be
> debugged.
>
> Playing with the asterisk or lcr integration of OpenBSC and hooking it up to
> some other VoIP-based or -gatewayed system like OpenBTS is something that can
> be done at any time, at any place, by anyone who is interested in doing that.
>
> Please don't misunderstand me.  David knows how friendly I am with regard to
> OpenBTS, and that there is no sense of "competition" or anything like that.
> I am very interested in technical discussions of GSM signalling, or at
> interfacing OpenBSC and OpenBTS on a GSM signalling level.
>
> But simply passing around transcoded voice samples in a VoIP protocol between
> two autonomous GSM networks is about the most boring thing I can imagine.  VoIP
> protocols are well understood, there are dozens of open source projecst in that
> area, each with their own community.  I happily let somebody else do that.
>
> So if Andreas and you decide you want to hook up OpenBTS and OpenBSC over VoIP,
> please go ahead and do so.  But this is unrelated to the 26C3 GSM network and I
> expect you will interfere neither with the 26C3 GSM network, nor with the
> public networks.

I know that you're very much of a friend to OpenBTS rather then a competitor,
and if you understood me that way, I ask for excuse.

What I'm trying to achieve is to get the most from the event as I can
for OpenBTS.
As a first time attendee I may not get a lot of things before hand,
but I definitely
have no intention to break your agenda. I just think that being connected to
the DECT network will give us broader testing then being self-encapsulated. And
I see the worth of having integrated HLR and operating a single
network rather then
two separate networks. But if will render impossible, we'll be happy
to be a closed
unconnected network or VoIP connected one (which is already more fun
for testers).

PS And yes, we plan for registered-users-only network.

Alexander Chemeris.