OpenBSC, 16-in-1 SIM and COMP128v1 authentication

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Nov 23 19:19:42 UTC 2009

Hi!

Today I spent some time investigating the cheap 16-in-1 SIM cards on which
we can set our own Ki.  This means that those cards can be used for
cryptographic authentication with OpenBSC.  Finally, we will have not only
IMSI-based identification, but actual authentication!

I've created a page in the Wiki about those cards:
http://openbsc.gnumonks.org/trac/wiki/MagicSIM

Using this information, I could send the RUN GSM ALGORITHM APDU to the card and
retreive SRES + Kc.  The result matched what I can also obtain using the
COMP128v1 code from http://www.scard.org/gsm/a3a8.txt

I will add Comp128v1  support to OpenBSC as soon as I have tested acutal
authentication using this 16-in-1 SIM card.

By the way: It would really be great if somebody could hack up a small command
line program that can be used to program the Operator Name, Ki, ICCID, IMSI and
preferred PLMN into the 16-in-1 SIM.