SMS delivery

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Nov 8 05:30:33 UTC 2009

Hi Bjoern,

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 01:47:44AM +0100, Bjoern Heller wrote:

> I never used it much, but when I try to send an SMS
> from a MS to another one it is not delivered to the second MS.
> OpenBSC displays that the SMS was received.
> If I do a Location Update on the second Phone the SMS gets delivered.
> Also if I enter the command "sms send pending".

yes, this is correct.

> How can I setup automatic delivery?

this has not yet been implemented.  I did not want to implement that before
introducing some kind of SMS protocol and splitting the SMSC functionality into
a separate process.   But you are of course free to try to implement it.
Attempting one delivery immediately after we receive the SMS is probably a very
good idea.

But whether or not to regularly run timers to retry failed deliveries, I am not
sure.  With a long queue of pending messages like we had on HAR, the load
iterating over that table can be very high, and it definitely will cause
delays(latency) in processing of speech frames or even signalling.

> Am I right, that OpenBSC first looks, if the second subscriber is connected
> to the network and then delivers the message?

yes.