RFC: Establishing logging standards

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Wed Nov 11 14:05:06 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 14:57:25 Harald Welte wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 04:17:05PM +0900, Harald Welte wrote:
> > > in one way this is a continuation of the thread but there is no real
> > > need to quote anything. I went to ulogd and had a look (and copied the
> > > levels), I looked at what we have and what would be neat and came up
> > > with a small interface right now[1]...
> >
> > ok, I will look at it asap.
>
> I've now looked at it.  I am not sure if we really need our own filter
> language, whoch would just add a lot of ugly string parsing/handling code
>  and overall complexity.  I mean, if you want to write that, do it :)  But
>  I think there are other more important things to take care of...

I agree. I was thinking about the VTY case and we need to have a way to go
from string to code (enabling/configuring the filter) and I didn't want to add a
lot of VTY commands. Let me think about something easy here..

> Another topic is: How do you want to handle the log targets?  I mean,
>  there's only one logfile or one syslog target, sure.  But what about the
>  VTY's?  We can have a number of VTY connections, and it may very well make
>  sense to use one non-debug VTY for issuing commands (without scrolling
>  debug messages) and a different VTY where you are mainly interested in
>  seeing [scrolling] debug log.

My idea was to add a "target" when the telnet connection is opened and remove
it when it is closed and by default not output anything.

> So every VTY would register its own debug target after the telnet
>  connection is established?

Yeah.

> Otherwise everything looks fine to me.

I hope to have a first implementation to toy with soon.

regards
	holger