RFC: Establishing logging standards

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Nov 11 13:57:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 04:17:05PM +0900, Harald Welte wrote:

> > in one way this is a continuation of the thread but there is no real need to
> > quote anything. I went to ulogd and had a look (and copied the levels), I
> > looked at what we have and what would be neat and came up with a small
> > interface right now[1]...
>
> ok, I will look at it asap.

I've now looked at it.  I am not sure if we really need our own filter
language, whoch would just add a lot of ugly string parsing/handling code and
overall complexity.  I mean, if you want to write that, do it :)  But I think
there are other more important things to take care of...

Another topic is: How do you want to handle the log targets?  I mean, there's
only one logfile or one syslog target, sure.  But what about the VTY's?  We can
have a number of VTY connections, and it may very well make sense to use one
non-debug VTY for issuing commands (without scrolling debug messages) and a
different VTY where you are mainly interested in seeing [scrolling] debug log.

So every VTY would register its own debug target after the telnet connection is
established?

Otherwise everything looks fine to me.