patch: 8_paging

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat May 23 13:48:04 UTC 2009

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 09:47:01AM +0200, Andreas.Eversberg wrote:

> i use the calling party's BTS, because the subscriber database does not
> contain the current BTS number of the subscriber last seen. (or detached)

Well, from my understanding, at least in typical GSM network operation, the
network never really knows the exact BTS.  It only knows the 'location area' in
which the phone was last seen.

A location area can be as small as a single BTS, but it can also contain any
number of BTS.

If a network pages a MS, it checks the HLR/VLR for the location area the MS
was last seen in.   If there are multiple BTS in that location area, _all_
of those BTS need to page for the MS.

So I think for OpenBSC, we do as follows:

1) We assume that in the typical small network, users will configure the network
   to only have a single BTS per location area.

2) If a user has multiple BTS in a location area, we should (maybe not right now,
   but at least at some point in the future) send the paging request on every BTS
   in that location area

The subscriber database even right now contains the location area code (LAC) as
a field in the database.  the db.c code re-reads this lac from the SQL table,
so you can lookup the subscriber by its extension, then determine its LAC,
lookup the BTS based on the LAC and then send the paging requests there.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you to not full-quote the previous
messages on the list.  Thanks.

Cheers,