BS11 in Berlin? Re: Musings on public API

Lars Immisch lars at ibp.de
Wed May 20 08:44:54 UTC 2009

Hi Harald,

>> I just wanted to ask whether there is a BS11 that I could have a look
>> at/play with in Berlin?  Does the Club have one or the c-base?
>
> The CCC Berlin has one, it is located underneath the lab table in the basement.
>
>> Whom could I kindly ask for a short introduction?
>
> nibbler is probably the only one who is currently in Berlin and who has
> played with it.  Both zecke and myself are in Taiwan at the moment.

Excellent, thanks.

>> I have experience with Telekom standards/E1/ISDN.
>
> I know :)
>
>> Telekom applications always need timers and interfaces to other systems,
>> and a reactor-style event loop with timers is nearly always the way to
>> go. You've already got a select loop and timers - why not package it in
>> a separate lib?
>
> well, I think we'll just see how OpenBSC is going to be used in order to
> see whether the timer interface is needed or not.
>
>> Or offer integration with libevent?
>> (http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent/)
>
> might be an option, but I'm personally not particularly happy about adding
> external dependencies unless there's a strong need.

I noticed (and I approve of that). Your call.

I'd like a pluggable reactor integration (on general considerations).
I'll think about a patch.

> btw: Do you have any patches for fixing compilation on OS X ?

Short answer: not yet.

The longer answer is: openbsc compiles with very few modifications on OS
X (congratulations). The only problems are header file annoyances: OS X
has no <malloc.h>, just <malloc/malloc.h>.

Maybe #include <malloc.h> could/should be globally replaced with
#include <stdlib.h>. I'll think about it and suggest a patch.

- Lars