Musings on public API

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue May 19 19:09:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 08:44:01AM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:

> I just tried to come up with a patch to prefix the timer functions with bsc_
> and started to think about public API. The thing is we only need to properly
> prefix symbols we intend to export. I don't think we will export timers.

well, it basically depens on how you want to see openbsc/libbsc.

If you treat it as a library, then of course exporting timers is a stupid
idea.  However, if OpenBSC is an application program / daemon that also
supports plugins, then providing infrastructure such as timers to the
plugins is a good idea.

I wasn't really sure about the way to go so far.  I think in reality we might
need both.   The sole reason to have libbsc was that there is some code reuse
between bsc_hack and bs11_config, and now even ipaccess_config.

I think all practical cases will not really see libbsc as a public library.  I
think the BSC functionality warrants its own daemon, possibly with multiple
processes/threads, one for the signalling and one or more for the TRAU
handling.  The question is how to treat interfaces to programs like lcr.

Should we just offer a plugin API and let such users write a plugin that
performs the IPC to the actual external program - or should we provide some
kind of standardized IPC interface and a library that people can link into
their application programs...

My main focus for OpenBSC has been to have a playground for BSC-like
functionality that is as flexible as possible.  So my intention is to have a
toolkint of A-bis and other GSM prtoocol related bits (libbsc) plus a set of
programs/plugins that can turn the code into something useful.  a PBX is one
of many examples, but a program that fuzzes telephones over the air would
be another of those applications.

p.s.: I don't mind libtool at all.