Musings on public API

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Tue May 19 06:44:01 UTC 2009

Hey Harald, Andreas,

I just tried to come up with a patch to prefix the timer functions with bsc_
and started to think about public API. The thing is we only need to properly
prefix symbols we intend to export. I don't think we will export timers.

So the questions I think of are: what are we going to export? how are we going
to export it?

On the what question it mostly depends on Andreas and what he needs for his
application, from what I understand that is the MNCC stuff that will come as
one of his patches.

For the other question of how we are going to export it we have at least two
approaches, symbol filter and visibility attributes of the gcc. I prefer the
later and have cooked up an example patch...

comments welcome

	z.

PS: I'm sorry to use libtool... the GNU documentation tries to hide other ways
PPS: With the 2nd patch in place I don't think we need to rename the timer
symbols (we still can as a matter of cleaning it up)
PPS: With the 2nd patch we have everything in place for installable API...