BS11 configuration problem

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Mar 1 20:45:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 06:01:52PM +0100, Michael Gernoth wrote:
> Hi,
> after receiving an E1 card, I tried (unsuccessfully) to get bsc_hack up and
> running:
> http://pbot.rmdir.de/19e2baa94ffedfdb814dce0a9346532e

I'm sorry to hear that :(

> After that, no new network can be found with a mobile phone.

It looks just right, though.  OML and RSL are bootstrapped.  can you start it
with -dDMI:DRSL:DNM to see if it actually ever receives something back from the
BS-11?  You should see something like 'E1 RX:' lines

> bs11_config is reporting:
> PHASE: 3 Normal               MBCCU0: Load        MBCCU1: Load        Abis-link: Up

good!

> When bsc_hack is started, the following message appears a huge number
> of times in the kernel log:
> Mar  1 17:24:51 faui43g kernel: mISDN_send: error -12
> and then sometimes messages like:
> Mar  1 17:24:52 faui43g kernel: ph_data_indication 0x0 0x3 0x0

this is strange.

> The kernel version is 2.6.27.19 (patched), but I also tried the newest git
> tree from Linus with the same results.

sad.

> I think the configuration of my BS-11 is somehow broken, as both TRX seem
> to be enabled:

This is not broken, it is just an option.  The second TRX does not interfere
in any way in the communication of the OML and RSL-first-TRX bringup, since OML
never tells the TRX1 on which TEI/TS to talk to us.

I have BS-11 with both TRX enabled without any problem here.

> BS11 Power Amplifier 0  ATTRIBUTES:
>         TRX Power: 30mW (GSM)
>
> BS11 Power Amplifier 1  ATTRIBUTES:
>         TRX Power: 30mW (GSM)
>
> But running bs11_config delete-trx1 (or create-trx1) just produces
> BS11 DELETE OBJECT NACK (respectively BS11 CREATE OBJECT NACK):
> http://pbot.rmdir.de/53344f67ed0cb86f24c4a79f0af4fe2e

yes, this is a known [to me] bug.  Maybe Dieter can check his LMT traces and
see what I am doing wrong when sending the DELETE OBJECT command to the BS-11.

> Trying to reset the standard configuration by deleting and recreating
> all objects in create_objects() doesn't work, too:
> http://pbot.rmdir.de/13e0b928689c0d527b13fa52698b9391
> (Patch: http://pbot.rmdir.de/e549a8a52da6d389326e2e2891c2f289)
>
> It seems to me, that I have to reset the BS-11 to the factory defaults
> and recreate the configuration with bs11_config, but I don't know how
> to do that (and if I need the firmware files for that...).

the configuration seems correct, it is set to the right Timeslot / TEI and thus
OML should come up.  Since the TEI is established between BS-11 site manager
and OpenBSC, the problems must happen at a much higher/later level.  All other
parameters (such as RSL TEI/timeslot are configured over that OML link).

I'm currently also out of further suggestions.  the mISDN_send problems sound
like a software issue on the PC within or above mISDN.  I think everything on
layer1 + TEI works just right.

Cheers,