OpenBSC with 2.5G or 3G mobile devices support? / Tested Phones

Nordin bouchtaoui at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 07:46:28 UTC 2009

> No.  It means the PDA might first try to register with that Dutch TMSI
> and then the network will need to explicitly request the IMSI.  It's
> not supposed to use that Dutch TMSI in France, but it might try if
> there's a bug in its GSM stack.

Well I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced about that. Cause that would
be a major bug, which won't be accepted by the biggest user group for
PDA phones (like business men, or presidents like Obama).

> Ah.  Sorry.  You are probably correct then.  There's something about
> the BCCH that the phone doesn't like.

That's I think is most likely the case.

> That's part of what I mean by TMSI resolution: if you can't recognize
> or support the TMSI, turn around and request the IMSI.

Yeah, that is what OpenBSC does, I think. But Harald, Holger, Dieter and
others know more about it.

>   The problem, sometimes, is that some phones don't drop the TMSI.
> They insist on using it, even when it should have been invalidated.

In that case, I would see some negotiations from the debug bsc_hack,
which there is not. So my assumption is still some missing information
in the BCCH channel. Cause once again, trying to register to my BTS
manually failed and I don't see any attempt to do just a simple Radio
Resource request. The latter one I can't confirm that for 100 %, because
it's possible the debug doesn't show all of that.

> The only way we could get the Treo 650 to stop sending us AT&T's old
> TMSI was to assign it one of our own.

Well, at least the Treo talked to you.

>> c u later...
>
> Not if I c u first... ;-)