OpenBSC with 2.5G or 3G mobile devices support? / Tested Phones

David A. Burgess dburgess at jcis.net
Wed Jun 24 15:25:54 UTC 2009

Holger -

[OpenBTS - I'm cross posting this from OpenBSC.]

A problem we had with a lot of PDA phones in OpenBTS was that they
would attempt to register or access CM services by TMSI, even when
our system had a different MCC/MNC/LAC and even when we had not yet
assigned a TMSI.  I first saw this with a Palm Treo 650 but have seen
it with other PDA phones since then.  I suspect a lot of them are
using the same broken GSM chipset that does not follow the standard's
TMSI invalidation rules.  I don't know what you do for TMSI
resolution in OpenBSC, but if you don't handle this case correctly
you will have problems with these handsets.

-- David

On Jun 24, 2009, at 7:33 AM, Holger Freyther wrote:

>> But Holger, do you also have registering issues with pda-phones, like
>> the HTC or maybe even the iPhone?
>
> I remember we had some problems with the PDA phones at the 25C3, I
> currently
> have no physical access to any BTS and can't do tests.
>
> z.

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.