WG: patch 12 14, 15, 16

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jun 5 20:37:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 03:30:23PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009 16:53:47 Harald Welte wrote:
>
> > Wikipedia is certainly not the definitive anwer, but as you can see
> > at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI_attach it claims that ATTACH is only
> > performed at the initial switch-on.  Later on, it does a regular Location
> > Update.
>
> Right, the spec agrees here (I stumbled across this today) and we need to fix
> the code. It is written in 04.08 Section 4.4.3 (IMSI Attach)
>
> "The IMSI attach procedure is used only if the update status is UPDATED and if
> the stored Location Area Identification is the same as the one which is
> actually broadcasted on the BCCH of the current
> serving cell. Otherwise a normal location updating procedure (see sub-clause
> 4.4.1) is invoked independently of the ATT flag indication."
>
> So I don't fully understand this yet, but it is a strong indication that
> wikipedia is right...

'update status' is the status as stored in the SIM.   UPDATED means that the
last Location Update was successful, and the SIM contains a valid LAI.

So IMSI ATTACH is only used if the SIM card is activated in the same LA that it
was last active in.

If the SIM was registered to a different network or LA, or actually failed to
register to a network (unsuccessful location update), then the status is NOT
UPDATED and thus IMSI ATTACH should not be performed, but rather a regular
Location Update

So IMSI ATTACH/DETACH really is about a SIM(IMSI) being activated/deactivated
in a given LA.  activation/deactivation typically is switching the phone on
or off.

While moving between location areas [at least in the same network] there should
be no IMSI ATTACH, as per the spec.