WG: patch 12 14, 15, 16

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Fri Jun 5 13:30:23 UTC 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009 16:53:47 Harald Welte wrote:

> Wikipedia is certainly not the definitive anwer, but as you can see
> at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI_attach it claims that ATTACH is only
> performed at the initial switch-on.  Later on, it does a regular Location
> Update.

Right, the spec agrees here (I stumbled across this today) and we need to fix
the code. It is written in 04.08 Section 4.4.3 (IMSI Attach)

"The IMSI attach procedure is used only if the update status is UPDATED and if
the stored Location Area Identification is the same as the one which is
actually broadcasted on the BCCH of the current
serving cell. Otherwise a normal location updating procedure (see sub-clause
4.4.1) is invoked independently of the ATT flag indication."

So I don't fully understand this yet, but it is a strong indication that
wikipedia is right...

greetings
	z.