Trying to understanding the source

Nordin bouchtaoui at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 12:35:39 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I'm a bit ashamed to ask, but I'll ask anyway, could someone help me
explaining the OpenBSC source?

make_sock():
I didn't know it's possible to call select() on a read signal to finally
call the accept() for the socket_fd. Logically seen, socket_fd receives
something (in this case a new connection), so it works. I just thought
select() is only used for reading/writing data (or an except) on file
descriptors.

Why is OpenBSC written to work synchronously and not multihtreaded? If
somewhere in the chain hangs (by a bug), telnet for example won't
respond, right? What is the idea behind this concept? Is it a popular
concept in the Linux world (so I can be familiar with)?

Which other functions does timer.c has besides returning a timevalue for
the select() call (nearest_timer) time-out. I mean what more other
purposes has timer.c Cause I don't really understand why timer_values
also be put in a doubly linked list...

That's all for now, I might ask some more questions, but after some
studying :s

Thank you.

P.S: I do have experience in C/C++ programming....in Bill Gates
environment. I know.....I'm sorry.