How to attack mobile networks with an iPhone (according to Apple)

Johannes Schmitz jsemail at gmx.de
Thu Jul 30 21:47:33 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 30.07.2009, 23:16 +0200 schrieb Harald Welte:
> yes, this is very likely.  This is why it is very important how we communicate
> our work and its result to the public.   I actually wnat to build an
> operational GSM network and an operational GSM mobile phone from open source
> components.  We can show that our work is constructive, that we actually
> have useful results.  Doing nothing else but implementing open specifications
> in open source software.  And among other things, this can be used for security
> research and to make more engineers familiar with practical aspects of GSM
> protocols.

But as a matter of fact the GSM standard itself has security
vulnerabilities. So are we gonna demonstrate this? For example do you
plan to show that false Basestation attacks are possible within a 1000
Euro cost range or something like that?
I think we must be careful with such things and everybody should be
aware of the fact that openbsc could be abused for criminal purpose.
I see this project as a chance to sensitize the general public of GSM
security problems and send a message towards industry.

Johannes