How to attack mobile networks with an iPhone (according to Apple)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jul 30 21:16:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 09:58:09PM +0200, Nordin Bouchtaoui wrote:
> I don't trust this, I think this a way to control the mass. If "hackers"
> could hack the towers, than the regulators come with a new law to get more
> control of people in sake of "national security".

yes, this is very likely.  This is why it is very important how we communicate
our work and its result to the public.   I actually wnat to build an
operational GSM network and an operational GSM mobile phone from open source
components.  We can show that our work is constructive, that we actually
have useful results.  Doing nothing else but implementing open specifications
in open source software.  And among other things, this can be used for security
research and to make more engineers familiar with practical aspects of GSM
protocols.