Bundesnetzagentur / 26C3 (Re: HAR2009 TODO list)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jul 29 08:43:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 08:49:46PM +0200, codec wrote:
> i've been talking to the bundesnetzagentur about test frequencies and
> temporary event frequencies for the SIGINT in cologne. i've actually
> made it through the whole bureaucratic process, but they had to reject
> us, because we applied to late (guess it takes >2 weeks, we applied 5
> days before the event ;).

Well, the question is whether or not there is any GSM900 spectrum left that
they can actually assign to you.  I have spoken with the respective person
at the Bundesnetzagentur, and at least for Berlin he indicated that there
is absolutely no such free ARFCN that they could assign to me for a test
license.

Instead, he argued we should obtain permission from one of the licensees (i.e.
GSM operators) and then show that permission to the Bundesnetzagentur.

> they didn't sound like there's no way we can get a frequency. but they
> told me that we are NOT allowed to connect our network to the normal
> telephone network (e.g. via eventphone).

yes, that is obvious.

> so, i might talk to the bundesnetzagentur about 26c3 if you want.

Sure, feel free to do it.  Talking/asking never hurst.  But I think GSM900
is not going to work out.  Which leaves us with GSM1800, which in turn means no
BS-11.