HAR2009 TODO list

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Jul 26 08:42:45 UTC 2009

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:04:19AM +0200, Andreas.Eversberg wrote:

> >On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:26:14AM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:
> >> Hi again,
> >>
> >> I'm currently in the train, so forgive me posting the initial TODO
> list
> >> to the mailing list rather than the wiki.
> >
> >this is now at http://bs11-abis.gnumonks.org/trac/wiki/HAR2009
>

> Check out Eventphone. They run DECT network. Why not linking to their
> network? I am not at HAR, but I can help setting it up. An extra E1 card
> is required to link to Eventphone's machine...

Yes, I'm very aware of the PoC / Eventphone and I know the people doing it
personally for years.

To me, I think this is one step too big for the current installation.

First of all, a link to DECT would increase the usability and thus drastically
increase the demand for something that is intended to be an OpenBSC
interop/testing network, and cannot yet be a public service - for capacity
reasons and because I don't trust OpenBSC that much yet.

Secondly, routing to DECT will probably still be permissible within the license
we have, but routing to land line would effectively make us a telco and that is
definitely not possible.  Sure, such filtering could be implemented at the Poc.

Also, I think we have plenty of problems to debug and fix when OpenBSC suddenly
faces this kind of load.  No need to further increae the complexity.

If everything works fine at HAR, we can do the bigger/better version at 26C3,
at least if we can somehow find more than the 2-3 nanoBTS1800 that we currently
have - at least for a couple of days.