GSM license approval for HAR2009

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Thu Jul 23 16:47:59 UTC 2009

Hello.

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 23:58, Harald Welte wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:32:28PM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > > Basically there will be
> > >
> > > * A 'stable' GSM network with BS-11 and OpenBSC for people to test
> > >   their phone interoperability with OpenBSC by making/receiving calls and
> > >   SMS.
> >
> > Great. Covering the whole event with an official GSM network should give us a
> > lot of fun. :)
>
> well, I basically want to avoid the impression that this is a phone network for
> reliable use for everyone.  The software will not run stable enough, and I
> suspect many interoperability reasons.  Also, our capacity is too small for the
> number of people at the event.

OK, so it should be announced more as an field test to help us getting in touch
with problematic handsets and other issues. Fine with me. We just need to make
sure communicating people this.

> > When do you plan to do this? We haven't settled for final dates yet, but planned
> > to be around from 12. - 17. Daniel and I should be able to be there earlier. I
> > would think it would make sense to get the physical infrastructure in place
> > before most of the people arrive. 10. - 11. for physical software setup sounds
> > like a good idea to me. That should give us enough time to have it running
> > stable from 12. to 16.
>
> I don't really know yet.  I'll ask the HAR guys how early we can start to put
> up our equipment.

OK.

> > What about tents, tables, chairs, etc? Is this something we get from the orga
> > or should organise ourself? I may be able to arrange a big tent plus some
> > tables and banks. Taking into account that I would need to ask and we have
> > the transportation proplem I would prefer equipment already at the
> > destination.
>
> Don't count on any equipment being there for us.  I'll bring my own personal
> tent (well, it is a tent intended for 5 people AFAIR), but that's it.
>
> If we start to ask for support from HAR, I think this will in turn raise the
> expectations that we actually provide a stable operational service for them -
> something that I think we simply cannot provide yet.

Hmm, ok. Do you remember the tent we had at the last CCC camp? I may be able to
get that one again. Also some tables and banks. That should give us enough place
for the GOC equipment and space to hack. Will call soem people over the next
days and see if I can get it again. What worries me a bit is the transportation.
We brought the same set even to WTH four years ago, but we had two fully packed
cars. Well, we will figure something out. I'll let you know.

> > Maybe some pre-registration over a website which feeds the IMSI into the db and
> > assigns a number? It would help to spread the load of register 3000 IMSIs during
> > the event. :) On the other hand it would drain time now. Anyway, I volunteer to
> > help out dealing with people at the event.
> >
> > Hmm, another idea pops up into my mind right now. Any chance we can get a big
> > bunch of pre paid SIMs without money on the account? If we would get some 100s
> > of them we could prepare them in advance and just hand out to the people.
>
> well, those SIM's would have to be sold, and that would mean dealing with cash,
> dealing with change, etc. - not very practical IMHO.  Also, if we sell something,
> that again leads to the conclusion that people should get something in return.
>
> It might also raise the wrong impression to the regulatory authority if we actually
> charge money for anything.

I was thinking along the loines to hand out the SIMs for free. Was just an idea
to offload some of the registration work from the actual event. I think we can
strike that idea. Giving the information that we don't what do cover all people
and announce it as a field test in combination with maybe implemented SMS token
register it does not make much sense anymore. :)

> > > * making sure the network runs and OpenBSC / hfcmulti gets restarted in case
> > >   something hangs.
> >
> > Should be the job for the same people running the GOC (GSM Operating Center) ;)
>
> heh.  well, we can have a simple script that respawns the two (in the right
> order) if bsc_hack dies.  We should have 'ulimit -c unlimited' and store all
> the core files for later debugging.  Also, the pcap files have to be rotated
> away at every bsc_hack restart.
>
> We also need to ensure that we save the bsc_hack binary that corresponds to the
> respective core versions.  Maybe actually the entire corresponding source tree
> for gdb.
>
> That would be a task for our pre-HAR TODO list (I'll start one soon).

I have to deal with an exam until 30.07. Afterwards I may be able to help out in
the preparations.

> > I've seen on the wiki side that you will bring two BS-11 for the stable network.
> > Do you think that are enough, or should Daniel bring his one as well. (Not that
> > I could stop him putting _everything_ into the car for the event.)
>
> Well, I think it is always good to have another unit, and if only as spare part
> in case one breaks or magicall disappears.  Apart from that, it might also help
> for testing BS-11 specific code on something that is not the production network.

Just talked to him (we will reply in more details I guess). He will bring his
BS-11. And another big item to transport on the list. ;)

regards
Stefan Schmidt